I remember being gifted my first set of three Noddy books when I was 6 years old. Before that most of the books I had read around at home belonged to my elder sister. So there was no definite sense of ownership. I loved these books and surprisingly still have two of the Noddy ones at my parents’ place!
I was an avid reader as a child. In fact, I wish I read as much now as well…
Here’s a list of my favourite children’s books and authors while growing up:
- Noddy series – Enid Blyton
- Charlie by Diane Fox Downs
- Hansel and Gretel – Engelbert Humperdinck (I had an audiotape/cassette along with the book – which was considered super cool in 1978! I would play very often while reading the book quietly along. Then I would read it aloud trying to imitate the storyteller on the tape!)
- Clifford the dog books – Norman Bridwell
- Hans Christian Andersen Fairy Tales (especially The Little Match Girl, The Steadfast Tin Soldier)
- “He’s your dog Charlie Brown!” – Charles M.Schulz (I could read this one over and over again!)
- The Tiny Little House by Elenor Clymer (probably my most cherished book since 1978, I think!)
- The Witch Next Door – Norman Bridwell
- Richie Rich Comics – Alfred Harvey, Warren Kremer
- Five Find-Outers, Secret Seven, Famous Five series – Enid Blyton
- Malory Towers series – Enid Blyton (I want to re-read the series!)
- Mary Poppins books – P. L. Travers (magical!)
- The Adventures of Tintin series – Hergé (I still read these 🙂 )
- Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators series – Robert Arthur and others
- Nancy Drew – & Hardy Boys – Carolyn Keene, Edward Stratemeyer, Franklin W. Dixon
- Archie Comics – John L. Goldwater and others
- Chacha Chaudhary comics – Pran Kumar Sharma
- Champak & Chandamama comics
- Tenali Rama, Akbar-Birbal, Sheikh Chilli stories
- Little Women – Louisa May Alcott
Did you read any of these when you were little? I would love to know! Do post your list of favourite children’s books & authors.
[Note from Team Kids Book Café: For your convenience, affiliate links to some of the books have been added to enable you to buy the books from Amazon, should you wish to! Do let us know if you’d like to buy some other children’s books that are not listed here by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll enable a shopping link for you!]
- 0-2 years2019.10.14Participate in the FirstCry and Kids Book Café #NoScreenDay Campaign!
- 2- 4 years2019.08.13AuthorView: Anita Badhwar on Little Princess Rani and the Palace Adventures
- 0-2 years2019.08.07Grab Some Super Deals on Children’s Books Box Sets on Amazon!
- 2- 4 years2019.07.2320 Children’s Books by Indian Authors that I Gift!